Friday, July 11, 2008

Never Say Never...

Cade woke up with a fever of almost 103 yesterday so I took him to the Doctor and it turned out to be a bit of a sore throat. We hung about home, dosed him up, went for some walks and he so badly wanted to play so I let him have a play out on the lawn for a little bit and then he was just so tired, considering he hadn't napped all day this was not a surprise that he got tired at 5pm and fell asleep for about an hour. Last night he went to bed pretty well but woke 4 times before 1:30am, each time soaking wet with sweat, poor little man.
This morning he woke bright and early and had no fever, was doing good. But once again WOULD NOT take a nap. He was tired from about 10:30am on but finally at noon I had fed him and told him in no uncertain terms that it WAS nap time. Shyeah right, this is a stubborn Anderson boy I am dealing with! He has always taken naps really well, and once down sleeps for a good 2-3 hours, so this no nap business was not working in my world. I let him cry it out for about 15 minutes and he was just sobbing. I went to get him and usually when he is picked up he is instantly quiet and consoled, well not today. HE WAS A NIGHTMARE! Carrying on crying, totally inconsolable. He cried for about 20 minutes and I was so done! Cory was due home for lunch at any time so I called him and asked to make it snappy... None of my mummy tricks were working and thought 'fresh hands' would do a world of good. (Fresh hands is something Cory and I have called it when Cade, even as new born got a little fussy and would completely settle with the other person). Well the fresh hands worked... for about 20 minutes until Daddy attempted to put little man down for a nap and oh my goodness, NIGHTMARE! I ended up taking Cade to the car and driving until he fell asleep... now this is where my title comes in... I swore I would NEVER do this, console a child by driving around endlessly... well NEVER SAY NEVER!! He fell asleep less than 5 minutes into the drive and was so zonked out he was laying on the arm rest of his car seat! Was cute... now that he was asleep... As soon as we got home a truck pulled up and woke Cade ARGH!! He started back up again and thankfully was happier than previously. Cory amused him in order to give me a break and I took a much needed nap. He still hasn't napped, not more than 20 minutes all day and I have so missed him napping, he is so much happier for it and so am I. Lets hope this is just illness related and that he isn't giving up naps. Oh I do not look forward to that day!!

1 comment:

Wyborn Family said...

I have done a similar thing when Aiden was young. He was home from day care sick and so he needed to nap but wouldn't. I packed him in the car, drove up and down the highway for a few moments and he was out. Came home, put him to bed and put myself to bed. It was great. Whatever works I say.