Sunday, June 14, 2009

23 September 2008 to 11 June 2009

My wonderful, courageous, charmer of a nephew, Kallan, completed his chemo this last week and returned home! We are just so in awe at his strength and ability and shouted a big, "woohoo!" for him once we knew he was able to go home.

His dad, my brother-in-law, Darren has been there with him every step of the way. He has stayed literally by his side these last 9 months and I bet they are just all so glad to be home all together. My sister has had to play runabout between Sydney and home trying to manage home, work and beautiful Shaylie. Shaylie has been a little bit of a star at the house in Sydney and I am sure the whole family will be missed. Life will be so sweet for them to be together and this whole experience has changed them (and all the extended family). I don't think you can go through something like this and it not change you. We are just so proud of our boy and I bet there are some lovely celebrations happening in the land of Aus right now... can you tell I am a little jealous....

I wrote on my last entry on Kal's blog the following,
"Only when nanny had her accident and you were first diagnosed have I ever felt such a strong pull to be with you all! I SOOOO wish we were there for some lovely 'welcome home, you kicked cancers butt' celebrations and more so to give you the biggest, fatest cuddle and kiss ever!! I so love, love, love you Kal, Shay, Karina and Darren!
Kathryn.xx."

I think this was my biggest fear when leaving Australia, was not being there for major events, whether good or bad but life goes on, no matter what side of the world you are on.

I just wanted to write a little something to the wonderful little family that has gone through so much from September 23rd - June 11th!!

Kallan.... I love you more than I can express, I am so, so proud of you. You have shown me how much one person can make such a difference not just in my life and everyone elses lives but in their own life too. Keep strong and always be that fun, sweet, spunky little man you are!

Shaylie.... you really are a delight. Nanny, Netty and Ronnie and everyone have loved having you around all the more when life was busy for Mummy and Daddy with Kallan. You are a star sweet girl!

Darren.... What a man you are! Karina, Kal and Shay are so blessed to have you. You have been an absolute champ with handling all you have. Breathe a huge sigh of relief and enjoy your own bed Dash!! I love you.

Karina.... I so, so love you. You have been pulled in every direction and what a stress for you. I could not imagine having to be away from Kal through much of this and I know it must have been the most difficult thing to go through. Your husband and children absolutely ADORE you. Hug them, hold them close and love them as they have never been loved before.

2 comments:

Jessica & Paul said...

Oh Kathryn, YOU my dear are a wonderful person, and I know your family feels your love. You pull at my heartstrings, lovely post.

Felecia Moeaki said...

What a Champ! Thinking of your dear family at this time!