Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cade... 18 months old

Can I just say that I can not believe my "Baby Cade" is now 18 months old! No longer my baby I can tell you. We had his well baby visit today and he is one growing boy!
HEIGHT - 33 1/8 inches (84 cms)- 75th percentile (not that I am a percentile person particularly but I'll include it)
WEIGHT - 24lb 14oz (11 1/2 kg) - 30th percentile
HEAD - 48.2cm - 60th percentile

Cade is in the busy/clinging stage and it is both fun and exhausting and at times quite frustrating for me. For example as I am typing I have Cade climbing on my chair behind me and once he climbs over he will be climbing on my back pulling my neck backward against him (personal pet peeve of all). I guess I should be thankful that he is climbing on me instead of being destructo when not in my view or when he knows I am busy with something other than him...
He has constant bruises on his shins, knees and forehead, poor little guy but he is a definite 'explorer child'. I read a while ago in parents magazine about personality types of toddlers and I had already seen the type of toddler I would have in Cade. Here is the snippet of the "Explorer Child"....

He's the one barreling around the playground, darting toward anything that catches his eye. These kids are confident and likely to become leaders, but their fearlessness can also send them running headlong into unsafe situations.

How to bring out his best:
Treat your explorer like a big kid. Allow him to handle safe "grown-up" objects like a toothbrush, remote control, or telephone -- and praise him for using them correctly.

Make exceptions to the rules. "Intrepid kids are independent children, and that's a good thing," says Harvey Karp, MD, author of The Happiest Toddler on the Block. "Sometimes, letting them have extra time at the playground, for example, helps them feel like you're working with, not against, them." So make exceptions to the rules once in a while.

Insist on naptime! He'll resist because he's so interested in everything that's going on, but an overtired child will be harder to manage and calm down.

Avoid monotony. Explorers are in constant motion because they thrive on and learn through movement. So skip passive stuff like sitting in front of the TV.

Turn your home into a playground. After you've toddler-proofed your house (a must, regardless of personality type), let him blow off steam by creating an obstacle course with pillows, stacking empty boxes for exploring, or playing hide-and-seek.


I just love Cade's nature. He is fun and energetic, yet tender and sweet natured all wrapped up into one. He is the most predictable kid (always has been), just not when he is playing, hence the name explorer. He has the funniest little giggles, like deep tummy giggles and then what we call courtesy laughs. Makes me smile just thinking about his different giggles.

I just can't believe this time has gone so fast. The paediatrician said that his vocabulary will double every 2 months from now on and that makes me almost sad (Cory is the opposite, he loves the toddler stages), I think it makes me sad to realize that they are only little for such a short period of time and then a new stage arrives and to be honest I have loved each and every stage (except the putting-everything-in-their-mouth stage, which comes and goes!!), it just seems you only just get it down pat and use to it for it to just change again. I love my baby boy and all that he is and all that he has brought our little family. We are totally smitten by he who is our first born.

4 comments:

Wyborn Family said...

Cade and Campbell seem very similar in their behaviour. Can you imagine what they will be like together at Christmas??!!

Kathryn said...

Hopefully they will be to busy climbing on each other and wrestling and playing to counter act each other, or perhaps they will be partners in crime... lets hope for the first!!

Lauren said...

Thanks for all of the comments. :) It's fun to read about Cade and read that Taggart is doing the same stuff, too! Hope things are well for you in Laramie. :)

Claire said...

He sounds just like my little nephew Marty who has just turned two! It's a beautiful age, I think between 12 months and 2 1/2 years was my favourite age! So much learning going on, unbelievable really!